Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Route to Cuba...

There are several ways you can head to Cuba from North America. You can leave from the Keys and head across to Varadero or Havana. That limits you to cruising the areas to the west of your landfall, unless you're a serious masochist, due to the current and winds you'll be fighting. The saying, Go West, young man....never applied more than sailing the Cuban coast.
Chartlet showing route through the Bahamas to Cuba and back to the US
My preferred route is to sail through the Bahamas, and then drop down from Ragged Island at the south end of the Jumentos to Puerta de Vita, 65 nautical miles away.
Two years ago, I did that route and went west to Varadero. This upcoming winter, I plan to do it again, sail the 150 or so miles to the far east tip of Cuba and then sail west along the south coast. When I arrive at Cabo San Antonio at the western tip of Cuba, I'll have completed a circumnavigation of this amazing island.

No comments: